Thursday, July 23, 2009

August!


It is July.

However,
my mind is somewhere about a month in the future.
Today my boss
handed me the August summer camp calendar
and invited me to fill in the unscheduled days
with fun activities relating to our themes.
I looked at her shocked,
there were only two weeks of August shown.
I knew then that my flash card making
and lesson planning
was probably a feeling
that was akin to birds
knowing when to fly South.
For the last several weeks,
I have begun to feel a pull back to lessons.
I've purchased teacher supplies,
lesson books
and even stickers for grading.
I've been writing out schedules,
interviewing Kindergarten students and yes...
making word wall flash cards.
I can barely contain my excitement.
Today I was writing out my tentative schedule
for the transition week.
My major focus will be on team building
and learning to follow directions.
We'll make things together,
play line up games
and learn my signals for transition times.
There will be a multitude of stickers passed out,
a great deal of constructive praise
and probably a kid or two
who will have to learn about
"the wall"
at recess.
Sigh...
a new start...
Dear ones yet unknown to my heart,
who come to me to learn and to grow...
Who,
for a year,
will become part of my classroom "family".
I pray that as July rolls into August
and my final preparations begin,
that I will be given the gifts needed to lead my unique new students.
Grace to know when a stern word is needed
and the patience to know when a hug is more appropriate.
Like every teacher trying to follow God's path,
I pray for my students and myself...
In the year ahead there will be...
plenty of band aids,
hugs,
books
and
stickers.
Lots of mischief and mayhem...
crazy hats,
silly songs...
happy contests...
bugs to catch!
Sigh...
yup...
I'm excited.
Our "Meet the Teacher" night is scheduled.
A smile is on my face and a plan for a wonderful evening is in my mind.
Full of cookies, handouts and happiness.
May we all be blessed,
this night and always.
Though you may not share my enthusiasm
for sentence strips,
play dough
and field trips,
I know there is something you are passionate about.
Something that lays happily on your heart.
I pray that this coming month,
this year...
your forever...
will afford you many opportunities to enjoy your favorite blessings.
May you find wonderful adventures!

No comments: