Thursday, July 9, 2009

Secret Pirate Cookies

Today my students built a Lincoln log style tower
more than six feet tall
with "pirate sticks"
...(carpenter pencils)

We searched for our missing breakfast
and discovered the food
and another clue
outside in the back parking lot.
("How could I have put it there? I was with you all morning")

Deciphering the clues,
we were directed to our Principal's office
where yet another mysterious brown note
suggested we head to the front of our property
and pay a visit our daycare's front office.

Happily chattering,
more than twenty children
went on a merry hike
to visit a highly cooperative administrator.

Left,
in a box,
was our missing afternoon movie,
an apology,
and a peace offering
of crackers,
margarine
and a pack of Hershey bars.

The note suggested we make a secret pirate recipe...
Pirate cookies!

We did....
Later we made eye patches, hats, parrots....
Played pirate reading relay games...
as well as a strange game of follow the leader where students were "lashed" together with friend and had to do everything I did or risk being disqualified...
(yeah, like that was going to really happen!)

We even made up a pirate song!

I laughed so hard trying to sing it,
the kids did too.

It was the kind of day that leaves me deeply satisfied.

I love teaching.
I love summer camp.
yup...
I love my job.

Tonight I give thanks for working somewhere I love.
Somewhere I can use the talents I have been given.
I pray that you are able to find a way to use your gifts.
You are a blessing to those around you.
Your smile can make the difference to those having a rough day.
Your call, your card, your prayers...
can help those you care about.

May YOU know that you are loved,
that YOU are prayed for,
that YOU are a blessing.
That you are blessed.
Now, Always and forever...
I wish you peace.

No comments: