Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Kindness


Librarians...
so much has been said about them.
Portrayed as dedicated,
often mousy bookworms.
Yet,
in truth,
they are the unsung heroes of so many.
The kind person helping a child find resources,
when they have no one else.
The one leading the local ESL classes,
passing on English literacy.
The ones who smile and greet everyone
regardless of what they look like or who they are.
My library is full of such people.
Like the quiet seemingly stern woman
who gave me an interview
when I was in a Children's Literature class getting my license.
...Sharing, with me,
for about an hour,
the wonders that the library could offer me.
You and I both know
she had plenty of work to keep her busy...
yet she took the time.
Yesterday I met two more such librarians..
They spotted my crate of books and inquired...
then offered me an educator's card on the spot...
There was no reason for the them to go out of their way,
to ask me why I had so many books.
...no reason for them to offer me a card...
....no reason for either one of them to just enter in the information into the computer when they could not find a form.
I am grateful they did.
...their actions were a blessing.
Aren't kind and generous people wonderful?

No comments: