Sunday, July 12, 2009

Captured Calm


As I glanced into my rear view mirror,
on the way back from our favorite Metro Park,
I grinned.
There,
on my middle child's face,
was an expression that made my heart glad.
Our hike,
through the massive trees
and down near the pond
had been well received by all.
I picked up the camera from the cup holder,
instinctively turned it on and held up the camera to my mirror.
Cross my heart their was no one behind us
and my eyes,
after checking this fact,
never left the road.
Back at home,
as I looked over the pictures,
I had to let out a sigh
and send up a prayer of thanks.
I was glad that I had agreed with my oldest daughters plea for an adventure.
All afternoon I had worked on paperwork that has been piling up.
I made it through the whole pile with only a few loose ends to tie up.
I thought while I worked,
I thought about words of wisdom I had heard today.
The first were from Pastor Angie's sermon this morning
when she talked about her own path to accepting the phrase,
"Bloom where you are planted."
I think about my life, it is not what I expected,
and yet there are so many blessings,
so many opportunities
that I think I need to do a lot less fretting
and more enjoying the life I have been given.
The second wise words I considered came from my dad who loves me enough to call it as he sees it. I was whining about my mountains of work which, though I freely admit were my fault, never -the- less were getting me down. My father assured me I wasn't the only one in the world who felt that way. Sigh... parents... useful critters...
At dinner time
when my dear ones had an itching for an adventure,
I knew it was a good idea.
So off we went joyfully and appropriately leaving our cares behind us.
We enjoyed each others company,
found bugs,
admired flowers,
saw a heron fly in and land looking for food...
Happy moments to treasure.
My life is good.
I am grateful.
May your day,
your night,
your week...
Be blessed with happiness.
May we all,
"Bloom where we are planted"!

No comments: