Wednesday, July 22, 2009

When things don't work out how you've planned

Those of you in Central Ohio
can attest
that our skies were overcast most of the day
and
that the heavens opened up
showering our area with plenty of moisture.

Because of this,
our "I Love Earth" Day
had to be conducted a bit differently.

It wasn't a problem,
we just caused mayhem
inside instead of out.

The high point of the day for me
had to be our Planet Prints
that the kids and I created in Art.

My students covered tables with newsprint,
washed and counted potatoes,
passed out supplies
and listened extremely well.

Using "real" butter knives
(ahhhh.... ooooo.... wow!)
my students learned various ways of carving potatoes to use for stamping.
Using glitter, cut paper and fluorescent paints and markers my students created multidimensional pictures that were honestly really attractive.
Not,
"Oh isn't that sweet my child made me something"...
But...
"Wow!", that is honestly really cool.....

My students really got into the process.
Both crews cleaned and washed up.
The little kids were especially excited
because their group went first
and they could leave their potatoes
for the "big" kids to use.
One of the older kids
was sincerely disappointed
in their print
and happily used
his little sister's potato to try again.
Needless to say...
she was overjoyed!

Sometimes in life,
what we plan
does not turn out
the way we hoped it would.

But,
thankfully...
The adventure that comes from a detour
is generally acceptable in the end.

Although in teaching
I am not too shaken when I must alter my methods midstream,
I must confess
that I really do not like change in my life.

It is hard to know how things turn out...
to trust that it is all ok...

If you find true change a bit unsettling,
hold on..
Find a friend,
say a prayer...
share a cookie...
(yeah... cookies are usually part of my solutions)

May you be blessed.
Now,
Always...
Forever!

No comments: