Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Indulging in the moment

Heading home tonight after running "Back to School" errands, my oldest daughter spotted the alley behind our local Payless shoe store.

As I drove past the alley, she squealed and begged, "Can we go down the alley?" I mentally paused and looked over my shoulder at my dear one who starts High School on Thursday.
I smiled and with a silent chuckle, I turned the car back around and headed down the narrow drive.
With a glee that I recognize, she was so delighted that I will treasure the moment for a very long time.
Up and down the sharply graded path, crossing streets and seeing only wildlife and backyard pets, I indulged my teenager in her innocent request.
This young woman, is truly my daughter.
She has learned a blessing passed onto me from my own mother,
joy in the little things.
I am so grateful to have entered this world
the daughter of a woman who knows true happiness.
My mother is a kind and generous woman.
She sees the best in those around her.
She shares.
She hopes.
She prays.
I am blessed to be her "dear one".
Now and always,
let us also share happiness with those we love.
Even if,
especially if...
we are asked to drive down the "alleys" in life
and spy on pets and squirrels.

No comments: