Saturday, August 8, 2009

Unexpected treasures

As I left the fair today,
I saw some young men
with canvas bags slung over their shoulders
passing handfuls of something
to each person who was leaving.

It took me a moment to register what was being shared.
When my mind identified the wax paper covered shape,
I let out a happy squeal
and gratefully accepted my generous portion.

Every year I pass by the Salt Water Taffy booth
and every year I look at the price of around seven dollars a pound
and I decide that I really don't need any.
Lately I've been musing what they would say
if I asked to buy only a couple of pieces
of the more interesting flavors.
However,
today when I passed the display,
I was so happily wrapped up in enjoying my roast corn
that I didn't even think to ask.

So,
you can imagine my delight
when the morsels of heaven
were being offered just for fun
as I left the fair.
Often there will be samples
of some interesting new product
being offered at the gate.
But,
never...
never even once
in my decades of attending the fair...
have I ever been treated to Salt Water Taffy!

What a wonderful surprise!
I think I had five or six pieces given to me.
I must confess,
I think I've eaten four of them.
I don't know whether to say,
"yikes"
or just,
"yummy".
:-)

No comments: