Thursday, February 12, 2009

Simple joy in a tiny box


As you read this, please don't call an intervention line asking for advice on how to help a clearly disturbed individual. (Humor me, I promise I'm not crazy!)
What I am about to share with you is true, though it may seem like fiction.
I have stumbled upon perhaps the greatest Language Arts teaching aid ever.
It is typically sold in boxes of 100 for less than two dollars including tax.
The shiny paper brads that adorn the top of this entry are this Kindergarten teacher's dream come true.
Every day during writing time, I try to have something "extra" that goes along with our writing prompt. For example, if we write about the Tooth Fairy, every child is allowed to make their own dental super hero when their writing is done and it has been approved by me. (You are hearing my conditions aren't you?)
Whatever the gimmick, be it a "book" to make, a character to create or even a coloring sheet to color and attach, the secondary activity "sells" my primary goal to those of my children who are reluctant writers.
By far the most highly sought after activities involve creating characters with moving parts. We've made Trolls that can run after the Billy Goat's Gruff and Gingerbread critters that will never be caught! Just today we made the aforementioned "Tooth Fairy" project in conjunction with our dentist's visit!
It is so much fun to listen to my students squeal in delight as they make things that bring their writing alive. I love that they are motivated to fix punctuation and backwards letters without a fuss.
So, if you know a teacher in need of a treat or know a student teacher about to head out into the field, consider giving them a box of these shiny miracles in addition to that teacher store card they will appreciate.
I even will go a step further and suggest you consider getting a box and stashing them for a rainy day. You never can tell when a small bored person will come your way.

Or perhaps, don't roll your eyes, you might open the box yourself on a day when your own imagination needs a little exercise.

Wouldn't your dear Aunt So and So be speechless if her birthday card had a spinning message wheel or a moving bird?

Go ahead and try it... you know you want to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the smile! Oh, those possibilities...

an adventurer on the road of life said...

...I'm not kidding...you need a box... :-)