Friday, February 20, 2009

Sock puppet joy!

Because I teach in a school run by a daycare company, I keep my students all day. We have wonderful Music and Gym teachers that come twice a month however, the rest of the time, I am the "Specials" teacher.

This is actually fun because I can incorporate our curriculum into whatever zany project, song or active adventure I dream up.

For example, this morning my kids were restless and so instead of a sedentary phonics game, I had my students go to our gym and we rhymed and ran.

I was a "giant tuna with sharp teeth" who would catch them as they ran from one side of the gym to the other after they gave me a rhyme. I would say a word like "pay" and they would shout out rhyming words and then run. They loved it and I loved it. They got to move and I didn't have to tell them to sit still and pay attention!

Later this afternoon, after doing a clock assessment and a critical thinking paper, I taught art.

More specifically, we made sock puppets!

My little dears were overjoyed. You would have thought we were doing something really fantastic! With unmatched socks donated by my parents, a few buttons and a little felt, every child was given a chance to stretch their imagination.

I am so blessed that I was able to be a part of the fun.

At a more traditional school I would not be able to do all the unusual things I do.

I would need to check the schedule before I headed into the gym and a trip to the movie room for a mid morning Spanish video wouldn't even be an option.

I am often told by those who don't understand, that I should look for a "better", higher paying job in a "normal" school.

Though more money would be delightful, for now I am content to enjoy the advantages of my wonderful school.

There are times in life when satisfaction and a feeling of well being are more important than more money. (Though I'm not opposed to having both!)

If you find yourself in a situation that is economically not the best but extremely satisfying, enjoy your time, while you can.

There may come a day when you must move on, but until then, soak up the sunshine of the world you find yourself in.

Enjoy your own personal sock puppets!

1 comment:

Anne said...

love the sock puppet.I am sure your kids love that puppet.
I have a caterpillar sock puppet. It is a joy to the children.