Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stepping out into the World


Today I went on a 3.5 mile, partially off trail, hike.
I spoke to a few people and listened to a few more.
I actually spent most of my afternoon in silence,
enjoying the beauty around me,
appreciating the challenge of the trail.
The one person I did speak to at length was a woman who was hiking with her elderly father.
I think she could sense that the hike held significance for me,
that it was more than just an outing.
As we talked, she told me of her "Wild Caving" in college and of her adventures out West after she was divorced at thirty. She said she decided to go because she had always wanted to and so she did.
I understood completely.
Although I have family and friends who care deeply for me and faith in a loving God,
I am nervous about starting over.
Today's hike was, for me, a celebration of my future.
Of not waiting for life but instead, going out to meet it.
As I stood on the top of the ridge and my fellow hikers sat down to snack and rest, I leaned against a tree and closed my eyes.
No profound thoughts filtered through my mind, no great realizations.
In that moment, with quiet conversation all around me, I felt only peace.
Quietness. Strength. Hope.
All gained from a hike in the woods?
I promise you it is true but, then again, I am an "outdoors girl".
Don't despair, I am positive you can find your own moment of reflection somewhere dry and warm if you need to.
You may not be starting over in the same way I am.
However,
each day is a new beginning for us all.
Take the opportunity to examine and reflect.
I wish for you today only good things.
Peace in your heart and
a beautiful journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no better way (for me anyway) to achieve a spiritual connection than being out doors, with God's creatures and growing things around you. I am glad you found a little bit of peace.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Thanks...I must agree with you, In the quietness of the forest with only the snap of twigs and the friendly chatter of nature lovers about me, it was easy to feel that Someone was in charge... that we are not alone to face the challenges before us. Even though I always believe it, it was/is good to FEEL it!