Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Remembered things




A creak on the stair,
a stir in the wind.


Millions and Billions of things my dear friend,
can frighten the child that dwells deep within.


Many years ago as I sat in a darkened high school hallway, I was struck by how lonely it was. Having a pencil in my pack, I sat on the stairs and soaked in the atmosphere. Then, in the quiet so long ago, I wrote the words that still echo in my mind.
Life can be frightening. I talk about this with my students sometimes. We talk about what we do when we are afraid and how shadows and noises can seem spooky in the dark.
We discuss how the presence of a light can help us to see. How just a bit of illumination can make the difference between fear and calm.
In our lives, what is it that we depend upon to guide our way and calm our fears?
I do not know about you, but when my back is to the wall, the faith of my childhood whispers in my ear. Words of hymns asking me to "trust and obey" or reminding me that I am loved rustle in my mind.
Like a little child in need of a night light, words of hope have the power to help give us courage in the dark.
I do not know most of you, I do not know what you believe. Despite this, I feel confident in saying that the kind words and precepts taught to us as children can generally be relied on as adults.
I hope for you this day...
That you will have peace in your heart,
light in the dark and
a firm remembrance of the true things you have been taught.

No comments: