Saturday, February 7, 2009

Being Brave


Tomorrow I am going on an adventure.
I love the outdoors and during the summer it is a rare week when I haven't taken my children to at least one of our wonderful Metro Parks.
Without spending a dime except for gas, it is possible on any given day to find a green space where silence prevails and raccoons dream of rubbish bin leftovers.
Sadly,
as summer turned to autumn,
real life started again for my children and I,
our happy routine of hikes and picnics slipped away.
Caught up in the day to day, the "time" for adventure seemed to have disappeared.
The past month or two I have again discovered the wonderful joy of no longer being a passenger on the road of life.
It is in the spirit of this new found freedom that I am headed out tomorrow.
With new "sensible" shoes already broken in, I am going hiking.
No one I know wants to go with me; most would roll their eyes at the very suggestion and shake their head with a chuckle in my direction.
I am not letting this stop me.
I will probably end up muddy and cold.
I'm not worried,
I'm sure to find a large coffee when it is all said and done.
This is a year for new beginnings,
for growing,
for stretching myself to become more than I am...
To become who I am meant to be.
What is it that you want to do and are afraid to try?
Today, close your eyes and see yourself doing it.
Learning the new skill you'd like to acquire,
meeting new people,
being brave.
Let me remind you,
as a dear friend has reminded me.
Your life is a blessing and you are loved!
Become who you are meant to be,
I know you can do it!

1 comment:

Walker Zed said...

Oooo. Someone put their shoes on the bed! I'm telling Miss Susan!