Monday, February 16, 2009

Sleeping bags and mosquito bites...

Today my school was closed for its twice a year "scrub down" and teachers' meetings.

As I scoured a Kindergarten heartthrob's initials off of multiple chairs and scuff marks from walls and floors, I had a lot of time to think.

I thought about my life.
I pondered my goals and dreams.
As I thought, the satellite radio kept playing songs about broken dreams.
I was having a hard time keeping my thoughts cheerful, so I turned my mind to musings of the coming summer.

Of the long days, warm nights and several months without lesson plans.

Though I love my job, my family and my life, sometimes I crave a break.

On this gray February day, I was seriously daydreaming of escape.

I want to go camping.

I really don't care where.

I know logically the idea of sleeping
on the ground,
in a sack,
placed inside a temporary shelter
and
willingly choosing to use primitive restroom facilities
should not sound appealing,
but it does.

It really, really does!

Can anyone else hear the crackling fire,
smell the burning marshmallows
and feel the need to itch at a stray mosquito bite?


If you find yourself,
feeling as I do...
That you need somewhere quiet to unwind....
Dream yourself a little escape...
if only for a moment or two....
Daydreams are delightful!
I can guarantee you will not suffer from jet lag...
and you won't have a suitcase to unpack...
Happy dreaming!

No comments: