Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Counting by two's


Spending my days with Kindergarten children is a eye opening experience.
It makes me stop and realize how very much knowledge I take for granted.
Knowing my phone number, tying my shoes and understanding what to do if I ever got lost...
Without a thought I instinctively know what I should do.
Why is this so?
Though, I will assert I am an intelligent woman,
it is not because of my own innate ability that I can claim these skills.
People who cared for me, many years ago, taught me how to learn what I needed to know.
They taught me one tiny step at a time.
They built on what I already knew and gently led me into more complicated information.
As a teacher I do this everyday.
This week my students will be receiving math manipulatives to practice counting by two's. We've sung songs, looked at our one hundreds chart and even completed dot to dots and other skip counting exercises.
Now is my one last push before I assess who needs more help and who "has it". So out go my numbered milk caps or my "hopping stars" to all my kiddos. They'll either hop the numbers or line them up to practice. Some kids might even get a copy of our counting songs, it all depends on how tough the concept seems to them.
As I get ready to pack up their things, I want to send out a thank you to all the wonderful people who helped me grow.
My Parents, my family, my friends, my teachers.... Everyone who helped a small blond noisy child grow into a confident woman.
We are better because of the people who help us along the way.
I also believe we become better people when we help as well.
I am blessed to touch the lives of the small ones in my care each day.
Both the ones who are my dear children and the ones who I teach at school.
I honestly believe, with all my heart, that we are supposed to help each other on our journeys.
Our smiles, our belief in the abilities of those we encounter, are powerful.
We are candles in the dark,
umbrellas in the rain
and cookies on a very bad day.

No comments: