Thursday, February 19, 2009

No longer lost!


Today at morning snack, as my students finished eating, they gradually sat down along the wall and began to read. Not only "fun", our morning stack of books helps to settle my students before we head upstairs to our classroom.
Beginning to search for interesting reading material, the kiddos dumped the books out of their bin and began to browse through them. When they did, a very welcome sight appeared.
There, on the floor was Dogku!
My long lost library book...
...the one I just paid seventeen dollars for this past weekend!
Though all my fellow teachers had searched along with me, the book had been turned backward in the box and the library label had not been readily visible.
So this morning when I spotted the book, I quickly turned with a happy squeal and "high fived" my amazing Kindergarten kiddos who stood nearby!
I explained why I was so excited and they caught my enthusiasm.
Tonight with my receipt in hand, I got my money back.
...and spent it all on dri erase markers, shiny metal brads and Taco Bell for my kids' dinner!
Finding my lost book really made my day.
I had been so worried when it disappeared. I love getting new books for my students. However, because I share classroom space, I am always taking a calculated risk. There is always a possibility that a book could disappear when I am not in the room or that one could be damaged.
Today's prodigal book was a relief. I had not really believed that anyone had taken the book, but the fact that it was missing made me nervous.
How many times in our lives do bad experiences make us afraid to try again?
I propose to you that kind people are like found library books,
they can restore our faith
and help us to trust again.
Are you lost, like my book?
Are you a little nervous, like I was?
Are you in need of a kindness?
Can you offer some to someone in need?
I am here to tell you,
sometimes books come home...
sometimes things work out.
Take joy in the small happy things...
like Taco Bell and dri erase markers!
The big things, the scary things...
I really believe will be o.k. in the end as well.
I hope for you this day,
happiness and simple joys.
A kind word,
a found book
or even someone who needs a smile from you.
In the midst of turmoil,
lending a hand,
even when you need one as well,
is a blessing.
May you be blessed today!

No comments: