Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Super Hero Readers!

Raised by a most amazing and resourceful mother, I enjoy using things creatively. It is a challenge to stare into a craft box or catch what falls out of the top of my art closet and figure out something delightful to do with it.

This past weekend, my eldest helped me turn one hundred and seventy odd Easter eggs into number sight word egg games for my students. My Kindergarten kiddos were delighted to receive them and my closet had one less thing to endanger anyone brave enough to open it!

In the course of the egg creation, I came across leftover felt from our Thanksgiving Pilgrim hat project. Since then, the image of the felt has been filtering around in my mind. Tonight, as I pondered some "gimmick" for tomorrow, an idea solidified in my mind.

The felt is about to become masks for my "Super Hero Readers"! I softly laugh to myself when I envision my students' excitement and their compliance during lessons. We'll make stories too, all about ourselves as heroes. I can not wait. I have a fair amount of prep to do, but, once again, I know my eldest will be happy to help me. Even if she isn't interested, the work will be worth it.

I can already "see" the happy faces, "watch" the books take shape and "hear" my charges read happily to me to "earn" their very own mask.

Did I mention I'm swiping my kids old dress-up cape for added affect?

Go ahead and laugh....

I am absolutely delighted....

I really do belong in Kindergarten.

Don't think it's all fun and games...

I better see spaces, punctuation, and nice pictures!

What a joy to be able to be silly for a few moments, to wear a cape and laugh along with the kids.

What a blessing to be able to bring such joy with a scrap of fabric and some imagination.

The next time you see a large box, a stack of empty toilet paper tubes or even some old playing cards, may you not just see junk.

Before you bin the "garbage".... remember the joy of the fort, the kazoo and a card tower....

Take a moment to smile and reminisce... and if by chance you have a dear small one near... think twice before the recycling truck is given all your "treasures".

May you be blessed with the simple happiness that children have.

Take care, be safe, have fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a former girl guide leader and I taught all ages in the guiding movement and our budgets were always nil. So I never look at anything and see junk. I still use trash to treasure today as I follow my hobby of miniatures. (I even have my family looking twice before they throw anything away - "I might be able to use that".)

an adventurer on the road of life said...

"I might be able to use that"... is a phrase that I've heard and used a great deal in my life. I respect and admire the mindset. However, I must confess that it is not the type of habit that makes me desire anyone who doesn't love me to look too close at my closets!

As for your use of found items in your miniatures... your work is amazing... I really mean it... Anyone reading this comment go click on Doreen's photo in my right hand column under "followers" and check out her blog.

There is something magical about bitty things that most of us never outgrow admiration for.