Saturday, February 14, 2009

Keeping it all in perspective

As I wandered up and down the isles at the market today, I happily but cautiously put things in my cart. I am waiting for a new bank card and so for a few more days, I am a "cash only" girl.

I lined my items up in my cart and kept a running tally. I shook my head in disbelief at how quickly the numbers were adding up. As I neared the veggies, fruits and meat I sighed, though I love this section of the store, it tends to eat up my budget.

Into my cart went bags of salad, tiny cherry tomatoes, grapes, apples and even a cucumber for my son. At the meat counter, I splurged on a roast for the crock pot knowing that my children would be very pleased despite the outrageous price.

Very soon my cart was full.
As I headed to the front,
I ran the numbers in my head again and knew I was "safe".

Shopping with cash or on a tight budget forces hard choices.
Before anything goes into my cart I must ask myself...
"What do I need?"
"Can I use something else already at home?"
"What meals will satisfy my family and not break the bank?"


Today, as I handed over one hundred and thirty dollars for my choices, I tried to focus on the positive.

At least I had the money to spend.
Though I am not wealthy, my kids eat well and are never hungry. How many parents all over the world worry about their children's meals?

I work hard for my paycheck and yet, it seems to be gone nearly as soon as it comes.
I'm betting many of you can identify with my feelings on this matter. Sometimes I get very frustrated over this very fact of life.

However, tonight as I gleefully eat some spinach salad with tiny tomatoes,
I will try to remember to count my blessings instead of feeling glum.

My wish for you today is not for great wealth or fame.
(Though those things would be nice.)
Instead I hope that you will have always have enough to eat...
and hopefully something extra as well...
...be it teeny tiny tomatoes or a roast for your dinner.
May you be happy and satisfied!

4 comments:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

nice blog you have here!

Walker Zed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Walker Zed said...

It is a wonderful philosoply to be happy for the blessings we already have. If is far too easy for us to slip into sadness for what we don't have, or what should have been, and that does not make for a happy existance. Thanks for helping me to keep things in perspective!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Thanks guys... sometimes when I feel sad it is all too easy for me to begin to count my problems instead of my blessings. My blog helps me keep pointed in the right direction.:-)