Saturday, February 21, 2009

Starting with the standards


This morning, like any other Saturday, I am starting on my lesson plans. I sit down with my content standards that are broken down by the week of the quarter and I start building my coming week.

Fun activities that are floating in my mind must be honed into solid interactions that will result in my students learning the information they need. Practical considerations of time and resources are weighed as well as what my charges enjoy.

For example, my students really enjoy our listening center so, I know that this week's Author Study on Rosemary Wells will be playing daily in the ears of my little ones. I also know that no amount of coaxing will really get my kiddos to practice writing word family words unless I turn it into some sort of game that probably will need to include stickers!

I have to smile and laugh a little when I think of how happy scratch and sniff, fuzzy or sparkling stickers make my students. I am comforted that no matter what has transpired in the time since I was five, some things have remained the same.
The joy of adhesive happiness still remains a strong incentive and reward for good behavior.
Innocent happiness is sometimes hard to come by in the adult world.
Perhaps that is why I sincerely enjoy working with young children.
It is an absolute delight to see their faces light up as they learn.
Watching them as they run and rhyme or as they see Mentos explode in Diet Pepsi for the first time is a pleasure that is not affected by personal situations.
It is joy, pure joy.
...Sunshine for the soul...
Even the naughty ones who get out of line, who roll on the floor and kick their neighbor. They are the spice, the hot sauce that makes teaching always unpredictable.
I can teach for years and every class will be different. Their needs and their desires will not be the same. My mind will need to stay sharp just to keep one step ahead of them!
Though I am sometimes exhausted and I promise you that without a little "help" I'm getting gray, I am so grateful for the license that hangs on my wall.
I am so happy to be a teacher.
I hope for you today that you may encounter the innocent joy that is around us.
A small ant that finds your cookie crumb, the adoration of a pet or even the stray dollar that falls out of your pocket when you really need a caffeinated beverage on the way home from work.
May you be blessed,
comforted
and filled with peace.


6 comments:

Anne said...

Kindegarten girl,
Teaching is a joy and it is very rewarding to see that light go on in the kids eyes when they get it! I once worked at a school where the Principal every year said that teaching is a passion and a calling, and if there is any one here, who does not feel that way,they can go. Everyone looked around, but noone moved. He then said, Let's start our year! That passion and calling still remains!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

I feel exactly the same way! Teaching is the hardest job I've ever had. That being said, it is also the most challenging and enjoyable experience I have ever had (outside of parenting).

There is nothing I would rather do... nothing that even tempts me. I would be so very sad if I were to be outside of the classroom.

Walker Zed said...

Your students are certainly lucky to have you as their teacher. It sounds like they are getting a start to their education that will prepare them for a future filled with wonder!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Thanks my Canadian friend. I sincerely hope that my kiddos go on in their education with at least a little bit of my way of looking at the world. I really believe that they are wonderful little individuals who are going to be amazing people!

Wanda..... said...

I agree- you seem to be a caring and creative teacher...I have a granddaughter in Kindergarten and she loves getting those stickers!I ejoyed your blog.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Thanks Wanda,
Kindergarten is the best! I tell my kiddos all the time.
:-)