Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pitch or Pack


This morning my youngest daughter pushed my buttons. A beautiful and loving girl who just happens to have autism, my kiddo's issues sometimes make me a little nuts. Puberty is a hard time for any child and when you have a few extra things to deal with, sometimes it can be rough.
We had a few words.
She's grounded for a while.
Later... after a few hugs for her and two phone calls for me, the world was right again. I am seriously convinced that everyone should have at least two numbers that they can call and let their emotions out.
For me, the first call went to my folks. I was exasperated and it was good to talk to people who, not only love me but who also have lived long enough to have sincerely good advice.
The second call was to my sister of my heart, Betty. Once related by marriage, now we're just friends. She has a child with special needs and so she "gets" many of my concerns. Beyond that, Betty is a fun person who I just honestly like.
Life brings us all many experiences.
Today, as I pack boxes, I am finding all sorts of relics from my past. I am deciding what to keep and what needs to go. It is not easy. I am a keepsake kind of girl.
What to do with "things" can be difficult to know.
But, without a doubt, I am not confused about what to do with my dearest family and friends.
I will keep them close and cherish them.
I hope for you this day,
someone to call when you are sad,
when you want to sit down and cry,
or even when you want to rant and yell.
May your friends never be farther than a phone call, text or email away.
When life makes you stressed,
May pizza be an option.
May conversation with loved ones help you find a little perspective.
Friendship is a beautiful thing!
Some days we call for comfort, other days we are the ones answering the phone.
Together we are better than we are alone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving is always a stressful time for all concerned. We moved many times and each time brought certain stresses. The children especially have no say but they still are uncertain of a new place no matter how exciting it may be. I always gave them "their" box to be kept in their room and they packed it themselves. When it was full, I gave then another. It might not have been packed they way I would but they felt it was theirs and they were helping. My heart and thoughts are with you as you go through this change.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Thank you Doreen. I know that my kiddos are stressed. Thankfully they are excited too. I hope when it is all over they will settle into their new home and adjust well. I like your idea of having them pack. I think I'll have my girls give it a try. Thank you.