Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Things


As the sun heads near the horizon, I sit here thinking about my world.
I have to let out a little sigh because I'm tired.
I'm am sure many of you can identify with this feeling at least occasionally.
It is easy to get discouraged when I am weary.
I find myself thinking that I better count my blessings and daydream about the lovely things in life.
To this end, I browsed my computer files looking at my favorite photos and I ran across one of my garden a few years back.
I took the picture one late July or Early August day when my garden was at it's height of glory.
There were about twelve or thirteen different types of sunflowers that year and the happy mixture of annuals and perennials was just perfect in my book.
Not all my years have been that successful. Like life, some times I haven't been able to make the vision in my head translate into reality.
Thankfully, just as everyday is a new beginning, every season is a fresh start.
I like to think of my perennials like the memories I carry with me.
Though they are ever present in my garden, it is my choice if they are an asset or a liability.
When well tended, they are the backdrop for my lovely annuals.
However, if I let them run astray, they can leave little room for new planting experiments.
This year, this season...
I will examine my life.
I will count my blessings.
I will embrace each day for what it is,
a new beginning.
Perhaps you're in need of a fresh start as well.
Claim this day as your own.
I wish only good things for you.
May the "garden" of your life be filled with lovely people and experiences.
May you be blessed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love flowers but unfortunately every house I have lived in had very little sunny areas. I always had to settle for shade plants and I was very dissapointed that I couldn't have my bright colourfull flowers. But there are beautiful shade plants too and I learned to appreciate them for their quiet beauty. This summer I have a garden that is in the sun and I am sooo looking forward to finally planting some of my bright flowers like the Zinnia and dahlia.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Doreen, I am so happy for you! Zinnia's are my absolute favorite. They have sturdy foilage and a "can do" attitude. I love to try just a couple plants of many different varieties. I especially love the cactus quill and old fashioned candy cane types. They are just so unusual that they always solict comments. Add in the bright pinks, yellows and purples that just radiate happiness and I have to smile when I look at my garden. I am so glad that you have a chance for a "sun" garden this year. When I chose my new townhouse, my garden was my foremost concern. In the end, I was able to find one with a perfect garden spot in the front and the side. Thank you for such happy thoughts. :-)