Sunday, March 29, 2009

The ability to change your mind

Darkness is falling here in Ohio...
It's been a little chilly today...
a tad rainy at times...
and,
for the past few hours,
the world has been a bit misty...

Anyone who has been outdoors today,
probably wishes for a warm cup of coffee
and some slippers.

Their fingers are probably taking a little while to thaw out...

However,
if they've been doing what I've been doing...
They are very likely extremely happy.
This afternoon,
I changed my mind.
I looked at my lovely station wagon and headed to my basement.
Got a shovel.
Had my little boy put his shoes and jacket on...
and headed back over to my old garden.
Flowers left behind...
were about to be reclaimed.
Black eyed Susan's,
Daisies,
Bee Balm,
Lavender,
Pampas Grass,
Parsley for my butterflies,
Coneflowers of all varieties...
Even snapdragons
and Hollyhock!
I spent the afternoon making trips...
digging...
planting...
smiling...
dreaming...
thankful...
Reclaiming
Changing my mind
Finding a solution
a way to save
beautiful things
my things
If you were here,
I'd make cookies,
I'd share some coffee.
Since you are not,
Please know that you are a blessing to those who know you.
I pray that you will always be shown a way
to keep what is precious to you.
May you be blessed.
Today,
Tomorrow,
Always!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Those are all plants that I love and I would have been heartbroken to have left them all behind. In face i did have to leave them behind in my house and I have never seemed to be able to have them again. Maybe this year. But it takes about five years to get a garden where you really like it.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

You are so right Doreen... We had lived at the old place five years. Every year I'd added more coneflowers, "babied" some perennials from seeds and added more actual flower bed space. I am glad I changed my mind about leaving them.