Monday, March 2, 2009

Play-Doh Snakes and Teddy Math


This afternoon as we headed into our lesson time, I had a smile on my face and absolute confidence in my heart.

Why did I feel so sure that my dear charges were going to have a lovely time?


My buoyant feeling was entirely due to eight cans and three boxes full of guaranteed Kindergarten joy.

For you see, our Math lesson on using our ruler was to be conducted entirely with play dough and our addition and subtraction work was to be added by Teddy Grahams counters.

We practiced measuring by making snakes and other animals of specified lengths. Every "correct" answer received a sticker about the size of a pencil eraser! (Trust me... everyone was on target after we "talked"!) After I assessed each child's work, I instructed them to play while I checked their classmates' efforts.

The whole system worked well and by the end of the session, rulers were being used properly and my kiddos were covered in stickers.

When my groups switched and we cycled into the second lesson, the boxes of Teddy Grahams came out.

Every child received a math paper, a pencil and two teddies to eat! While they munched their little bitty yummies, I explained that I'd give them all ten more to use as we did the math together and that when we were done and their math was checked, they would be allowed to eat them!

Happy noises and cooperation ensued. We did addition together and then subtraction. My students are amazing at addition and quickly came up with the answers for the first problems. The real challenge began when the sign changed to subtraction and my kiddos tried to blithely continue adding the numbers.

I must confess it is a little funny when students sneak ahead and add numbers that were meant to be subtracted. The resulting problems are harder than anything I would expect them to attempt on their own and their outrage over being told they need to erase the work and stay with the group is probably more amusing to me than it should be.

I love to observe my students when they are deep in thought and watch them figure out things for themselves.

I believe that no matter what struggles we may have to overcome, we all are good at something.

I have always found this to be true.

What a blessing that in this world some people actually understand directionality and spacial reasoning! That there are people out there who can competently set a bone or cook a four star dinner!
We all need each other.
I make excellent cookies.
I can teach your little one to read.
I can even help tend your garden!
But whoa be tide to you if you ask me for directions or demand a gourmet dinner.
I am a map quest and comfort food girl.
Tonight I wish for you the absolute assurance of your place in the world.
There is at least one reason you are here...
one gift you are meant to share...
May your life be filled with the happiness that comes from doing something you were meant to do. May you ask for help in areas you are weak and allow others the chance to share their talents as well.
May you be blessed.

No comments: