Saturday, March 28, 2009

Blessings


I'm counting my blessings today.
This photo is of my little son.
He's almost eleven.
He is mostly nonverbal....
notice I didn't say silent.
(I'm smiling as I type this.)
He has been known to flood bathrooms,
break things
and do embarrassing things in public.
Today, as he sat on my floor and I played my itunes for him...
I was struck by how very much I love him.
He is high maintenance.
Sometimes his hijinks's have me wondering what I should do.
And yet...
his smile...
melts my heart.
...he loves sidewalk chalk...
cookies...
silly songs...
pizza...
walking at the parks...
He is a blessing.
...not a liability...
I am glad he's mine.
It is easy to look and see the problems.
Sometimes, when I am discouraged,
I have felt unequal to the effort it takes.
My little guy is my biggest challenge.
and...
quite likely my biggest blessing.
Today, I as I sit here,
I am saying a prayer.
One of thanks.
For the woman I have become,
because of my son.
I pray that I will be given the strength
to continue to be the mother he deserves,
the one he needs.
I hope for you,
that when you have challenges,
you will be blessed,
as you find a way to do what you need to do.

No comments: