Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Never give up!

My son is ten and a half years old.
He has autism and does not speak.
He has been in school since he was two years old.
Every year his teachers dutifully have tried to show him the alphabet and how to write his name.

This past week,
in the frost on a window pane...
My son wrote the letter "A"!
Now it seems that sidewalk chalk has a whole new appeal. Letters are catching his curiosity. Who is to say if he will write more or what made him start this new fascinating activity...
But,
Tonight he can write an "A"...
Something I honestly had given up hope of ever happening.
I am surprised, delighted and a little ashamed to have lost faith in his progress. Mostly though, I am just so proud of him.
I hope for you tonight, that there is something unexpected and wonderful waiting to surprise you!
May the days that follow bring you
unexpected delights...
blessings...
and
happiness!

3 comments:

Walker Zed said...

Thank you for sharing that heart warming story. I'll bet he is proud of his accomplisment!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

I think so... he looked sheepishly proud when I cheered him on!

Anne said...

How wonderful! You both were able to share an accomplishment together.