Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nickel Nonsense



Tomorrow is the end of the Third Quarter at school. This past week has been a calm time with review and assessments.

We've gone on sight word "hunts", used shaving cream to practice word families and popped popcorn to assist with addition.

Today we played another game of, "You can keep it!" This game is my attempt at motivating my students struggling with coin identification. In most families, children simply do not see coins being used on a daily basis. The piggy bank with begged change is no longer a bedroom standard. My intelligent children do not have the life experience to intuitively know which coin is which.

My response?
Literally a group discussion.
An examination of a coin.
A comparison to the other coins.
We name it.
We talk about the possible pictures that could be on it.
(The new coins, which thrill collectors, terrorize my students.)

Then... if they can name it... and tell me its value, it is THEIRS!

...(insert chuckle here)...

Nickels, pennies and dimes still make an impression in 2009.
Please don't clue them into their actual relative value!

After our lesson, every kid could tell me what I'd given them;
they could show me where the nickel said, "Five Cents".
For the rest of our day together,
every time I saw a coin in the hands of a student,
I asked what it was and how much it was worth.

Every time, they knew!

Review time is so satisfying because the progress my students have made makes me so happy.

Kindergarten children learn so much; they are a privilege to help educate.

I hope for you this evening,
the simple pleasure my students had today
as they nibbled ten pieces of popcorn,
measured snakes out of play dough
and
collected their very own nickel!

Good night and God bless!

2 comments:

Walker Zed said...

Sounds like the kids weren't aware that the fun they were having was another learning experience! LOL. How can I enroll in your class? :-) A couple of lessons like that and I will have a cup of coffee!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

There is not a day when I wouldn't share a cup with my dearest friends. No games are even required.

Coffee is like air... necessary.

It would be inhuman to withold it from anyone in need. :-)