Sunday, March 1, 2009

Laughing softly in Ohio


While shopping this weekend, I happened upon the garden displays in several stores.
Each time, I paused and let my eyes pass over the display.
I probably had a grin on my face...
I know I felt like I was in heaven.
Like the proverbial kid in the candy store, I started picking out what I wanted. In my mind I could see my new gardens... growing and lovely.
This year, I am once again going for the "Zillions of Sunflowers" look which is my favorite.
People literally have stopped their cars to stare at the gardens I've grown in the past.
There is something about sunflowers that causes most people to smile and shake their heads in wonder.
One year, about half way through the summer, two neighbor boys actually came over to ask me how to grow them. I was so sad to tell them that they'd have to wait until the following spring.
As a grownup, spring seems far away some days.
To a child, the wait is an eternity.
Today, with no one to ask permission, I indulged myself and came home with a stack of seed packets.
From some "Fuzzy Face" cuties to lemon yellow "Moon Walkers" that will blow in the breeze above my head, my selection is impressive.
I'd like to pretend that my craving is cured... but, I do try to be truthful. I know that every trip to the store will result in another seed packet.
It's a good thing I have some dear friends who garden too! Every year when I split the packets open, I feel ever so less guilty when I share the bounty.
It's not completely selfish to have fifteen types of sunflowers... if you share the seeds... right?
Tonight, as I dream of summer... of the spectacle that will come from daydreams and hard work, I am listening to my itunes and smiling.
With my tummy warm from a cup of coffee and myself wrapped in my robe, I find the world to be a lovely place.
I know that it's cold outside.
That the world is not perfect.
But, tonight... tonight I'm not thinking about those things.
May your heart be filled with happiness this evening.
May you find that your happiest daydreams are enough to carry you through the winter.
May you be blessed.

No comments: