Friday, March 20, 2009

We had so much fun!

Last week, in their homework folders, my students were asked what it was they'd like to study before the end of the year.

Today, in response to one young man's suggestion,
we learned about worms!
We read a book about worms.
Visited an amazing interactive website
all about the squirmy critters!
Watched a Max and Ruby cartoon entitled, "Worm Cake".
Made our own construction paper "friend".
and....
drum roll please!
We worked in pairs,
with metal spoons,
to dig for worms!
We found worms enough for everyone and brought them inside to examine them at length. We even put wet paper towels in the bottom of our collection container so they wouldn't dry out.
I'm not fibbing...
I had students' begging to take their worm home.
I told them I could make no promises about that.
That...gasp!... not everyone loved worms.
I reminded them about how I felt about wolf spiders.
(I hope only a few parents want to skin me alive for the new "pet".)
Days like today make me so glad to be a Kindergarten teacher.
Where else could I play in the dirt and be paid?
I hope that your evening,
your weekend,
is just as blessed as my day has been!
Enjoy the simple pleasures all around you!

No comments: