Saturday, April 4, 2009

Are you scared of the dark?


Tonight my oldest and I went on a night hike at Clear Creek Metro Park.
Quietly,
we wandered through the woods...
...Out into a meadow
where the moon shone brightly.
The stars were like glittering fireflies,
drawing our eyes heavenward.
We heard spring peepers,
tried to call a Bard Owl
and crunched Winter Green Life Savers
watching sparks in our partner's mouth as they chewed.
It should be illegal to be so happy about a walk in the dark.
When our group paused to listen to the naturalist,
I closed my eyes
and felt the tranquility of the place
settle all about me.
Surrounded by fellow nature enthusiasts,
the darkness was peaceful,
not scary.
I have found life
to be like the walk in the dark.
The world is better
because of kind companions on our journey.
May your "walk" be peaceful,
your companions kind
and may you be blessed,
This evening,
tomorrow,
forever.

No comments: