Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Field Trips


Tomorrow, about mid morning,
I'll be climbing aboard our school's van and loading little ones up to head out for a field trip.
With lunches packed, chaperones accounted for and children occupied with small toys or books, we will head out to the Franklin Park Conservatory to see butterflies from around the globe.
With a special dispensation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and volunteers posted at all the doors to prevent exotic escapees, beautiful jewel like treasures will surround us.
If it is overcast or rainy, the butterflies will stay near the ground and the children will have to pay attention to find all the varieties. However, if the sun is shining through the massive greenhouse windows, the fluttering will be breathtaking and the children's happy squeals are likely to echo long after we are gone.
I feel very blessed to be the one they look to for answers. Today I had a child ask me why there was "wind". I said, "Wow! that is a very complicated question". I explained that it had a lot to do with oceans, and the sun, but that I would find a book that could explain it to children in simple words. I can only imagine what my students will ask tomorrow.
I am grateful that I do not have to hold all the answers, that it is o.k. to say we must look it up on the Internet or that we need a book.
Isn't it nice to know that at least half of being educated is knowing how to find answers, not just having raw triva stored in our minds.
Saying, "I don't know yet, let's find out together." is a delightful experience.
I think it can lead our children to feel more positive about learning. They will see that we are still learning and that education is a continual process.
I pray that you and I will never believe we are too old to learn something new,
something wonderful.
I dare to hope that Road of Life has a lot more to offer us.
May your evening,
your night,
your forever,
be filled with useful knowledge,
new interesting tidbits of information
and
a mind that never stops wanting to know the secrets of the word.
May you be blessed.

No comments: