Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Testing


This week,
in addition to practicing for our play,
we are taking a standardized test.
My students,
Kindergartners,
are doing well.
However, sitting quietly for twenty minutes is not something little people like.
So, they are humoring me.
Mostly...
I know I am not the only one who will be happy when it is over.
In life, there are many tests.
School tests,
like our SESAT or an SAT.
Medical tests,
like MRI's and CAT scans.
Professional tests,
like the Bar exam
and even Life tests like parallel parking
and babysitting for the first time.
There is something in our very nature that makes us want to succeed.
One of my students summed up the feeling when he said,
"Ms. Susan, I want to be RIGHT."
Who wants to be wrong?
To fail?
To not do as we should.
I told my student that he just needed to choose an answer
and that as long as he tried his best,
it was going to be fine.
He wasn't entirely sure he believed me.
Was my answer truthful?
What do you believe?
Is your best good enough?
I say yes.
Our gifts are graces that are given to us.
I am not able to believe that our worth,
our value,
has anything to do with the result of any test.
Our worth was declared a long time ago,
when the Maker of the World
Chose us for His very own.
So,
though it is in our nature to strive for perfection...
We are loved,
regardless of the outcome of our efforts.
May you and I never forget this truth.
May our hearts be filled with joy.
May we be blessed.

No comments: