Saturday, April 18, 2009

Moments together


Tonight my eldest daughter and I continued a tradition together.
We made hardtack candy.
I used to make it with my beloved grandmother.
As a very little girl I remember how happy I was when I would be allowed to twist the tray and crack the candy.
It was so very satisfying to watch the smooth sheet of "glass" shatter into a zillion yummy pieces.
Rolled in sugar and tucked into jars,
everyone had their favorite flavor.
Real peppermint oil made the green ones icky in my book,
while yellow guaranteed a lemony treat.
After dinner tonight,
as we spent several hours together,
we talked about her journey to high school.
We discussed where she was going to go.
I had to tell her that while I would do my best to send her along with her buddies to our Catholic High School... I couldn't promise her it would happen.
This was a sad reality that she hadn't considered.
Over the course of the evening, while we stirred, shattered and sugared, we talked it out.
The possibilities,
the future.
We even ended up talking about college and career choices.
It was an important discussion, one made more natural, more tolerable by the task we were completing together.
The delicious candy,
"sweetened" the situation just a little.
Memories were made and I am so proud of the woman my daughter is becoming.
I am blessed by her gentle spirit...
Glad she is mine to love.
I pray that your own life will be blessed with dear ones to cherish...
that your walk be "sweeter" because of them.

No comments: