Thursday, April 2, 2009

Did that sign say State Route 70?


My eldest daughter and I played hooky today.
I used a personal day and sprung her from school.
Our plans included running errands,
a couple donuts and a trip to her favorite Metro Park!
By around ten o'clock, our errands were done and our donuts were a vague but happy memory as I headed our adventure mobile toward our destination.
Not known for my great navigational skills,
I missed my turn.
Happily,
there are wonders to see down every road in Ohio
and we stopped at Dawes Arboretum just outside of Newark.
There we walked the two and a quarter mile Oak Trail.
...Up hills,
past breathtakingly lovely water,
near relaxing parents and playing children...
We talked and laughed and,
from time to time,
paused to sit on a bench and enjoy the scenery.
We were never,
"Lost"
as my daughter claims.
I knew where we were.
It just wasn't the place we had originally intended.
Life is full of unexpected detours
that often turn out to be at least as nice as the original plans we make.
May your day,
your night,
your adventure,
be wonderful...
Even if you don't end up where you thought you were going!

No comments: