Friday, April 10, 2009

Knowledge


I am a sentimental woman.
I love paper flowers made by children...
the gifts wrapped all by themselves,
with hair stuck in the tape.
I love rocks brought back from trips
and flower seeds from historical gardens.
I have a weakness for homemade Christmas decorations.
Paper chains,
tissue papered baby food jars
and
my favorite...
Glittered Pine cones.
I have a lovely large one that my eldest daughter and I brought back from the Cement Tepees in Cave City, Kentucky. Its base is crooked and it drops a little glitter every year. Lovingly I place it above my television and smile at it's lopsided endeavor to spread Christmas cheer.
One day I saw giant pine cones and someone told me they were from the redwood trees out west.
I even saw a family find massive cones on television.
Ever since,
I've had a burning desire to go to the National Forest
and swipe myself one of these fantastic cones.
Tonight,
I decided to talk about my dream...
My silly wish for "some day"...
to muse about my happy thoughts.
So,
I went to look for a photo
and discovered...
Sequoia pine cones are itty bitty and very rare.
Staring at the screen,
I laughed out loud.
My long time daydream,
is now a little revised...
I still want a giant pine cone,
but,
I guess...
What I thought I wanted
is not what I really do!
Sometimes knowledge can make us sad.
Like discovering how far a hundred dollars really goes,
or that the pizza place closes at eleven
and it's eleven o' three.
Other times,
like tonight,
Knowledge
is
surprising
but not unpleasant.
I hope for you,
that your next
"unexpected moment"
is pleasant!
May you rest easy,
with happy thoughts on your mind
and love in your heart.
May tomorrow bring you at least one smile to share.
May you be blessed.


No comments: