Friday, April 24, 2009

Swings and Starry Skies


Laying on my swing,
my feet dangling over the edge,
brushing the grass with each gentle pass,
I looked up into the sky,
darkness was settling around me.
The multitude of fences were disappearing,
as if into a mist,
from somewhere,
the smell of popcorn floated by on the breeze.
I chatted on the phone
and thought about what an absolutely lovely evening it was.
Friday
Payday
No rain predicted
for the whole weekend
My girls came out for a little while and joined me.
Even the dog sat with us.
A brief trip indoors to put everyone to bed,
then back out with a blanket,
a cup of coffee.
I fell asleep for just a little while,
waking at my pup's slight whine.
Why was mom,
sleeping outside?
Back,
writing to you,
telling the story,
getting ready to climb into bed.
Planing the day tomorrow,
daydreaming in my head.
It has to be a park day,
a play day.
A picnic,
bring a smile day.
One park,
two..
dare I say
three?
warm
happy
blessed.
May your evening be beautiful.
May tomorrow find you refreshed.
May you always know you are loved.
May you be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take that picture of the stars? I have never seen so many. Living in the city, stars are very few and far between. But when you drive into the country and look up on a clear night they are fantastic. But even then I have never seen as many as are in your picture.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Doreen,
No, I found the picture on the Internet. I live smack dab in the middle of a Columbus suburb. I do see stars and they make me happy. But, I see a lot of light pollution.

Once camping as a teenager I was far enough in back country to discover what real darkness is and occasionally I have been far enough out to see breathtaking stars. But, as you probably have guessed. My heart dreams of dark and perfect skies so that is what I had to find to share.